Why you should make your WordPress site mobile friendly? Using the mobile devices for surfing on the net is getting more and more usual and with that it is necessary to optimize our WordPress site to be compatible. In many cases most of the WP themes do not support mobile devices and therefore the sites are not displayed properly or even unusable. Overall, optimizing your WordPress site for mobile devices is a must.
Fortunately, there are many solutions that can help you with this task. Here I would like to show you some WordPress mobile plugins that help to make WordPress mobile friendly.
I think, the most useful WordPress mobile plugin is WP Mobile Detector which is the great solution. It automatically detects what sort of mobile device the visitor uses and loads the compatible WordPress mobile theme for each. It supports more five thousand devices now. In my point of view, this mobile plugin offers the best user experience like collapsible menus, dynamic page loading, cross-platform compatibility, touch-optimized layouts, widgets, and more.
The second mobile plugin you should check is WPtouch which is definitely the most popular WordPress mobile plugin and is used on millions of sites now. It comes with an easy to use admin panel where you can tweak it simply. It is useful as it converts your site into a low memory theme.
WPtouch automatically transforms your WordPress website into an application-like theme, complete with ajax loading articles and effects when viewed from the most popular mobile web browsing devices like the iPhone, iPod touch, Android mobile devices, Palm Pre/Pixi and BlackBerry OS6 mobile devices.
Wordpress also has another plugin for mobilization called WordPress Mobile Pack which also comes with many options for tweaking your site. It comes with a a mobile switcher, themes, widgets, and mobile admin panel.
Here are some of the features
- A mobile switcher which automatically suggests desktop or mobile presentation
- A standard mobile theme
- A set of advanced themes for Nokia and WebKit devices
- Standards adherence, ensuring that mark-up is valid XHTML-MP 1 and the site scores 5 on mobiReady.
- Device adaptation, including the rescaling of images, intelligent splitting of articles and posts into multiple pages, the simplifaction styles, and the removal of non-supported media.
- A mobile admin panel, that allows the blog managers to access the admin interface via a mobile device, with simplified access to the most common features such as editing a post or approving comments.
- A mobile ad widget to easily enable mobile ads with AdMob or Google’s Mobile Adsense.
- Mobile analytics, allowing you to track your mobile traffic
- A barcode widget which adds a barcode to your desktop site so that devices with a suitable reader can quickly bookmark your mobile site
More Tips on Optimizing your WordPress Website
You must not forget that using plugins is not enough. You will need to make steps in order to offer the best service for the visitors coming by using mobile devices. For example, never use pop ups which is really annoying mainly if we use a mobile phone. Or avoid using Flash. By reading the article below you will get more ideas what you should and must not do when you develop your mobile website.
So there you go, I hope that these few tips can help you get started in creating your mobile friendly website. If you have more questions about WordPress or web design in general, visit our latest tutorial on how to create a …
Do you know other techniques or plugins to make WordPress mobile friendly? Please, share with us
Last updated byat .